THE STRONG CHALLENGE
WEEK 5: SERVE
WEEK 5: SERVE
Why do we always seem to have time for “I” but not for “us”? Time for self-centered binging and not for moments of serving others. For some, it is fear or a recent loss that drives them to hold tightly to what is theirs. The problem is, we are designed to live differently, to be givers and not just takers. To take hold of a weapon of the spirit and look out for our friends and our neighbors.
If we are willing to prioritize the needs of others, to reach for our best things to give, and to carve out time to serve, we will discover the transformational rewards that come only from practicing heroic love. The rewards are great, but the motivation to do nothing can be greater… push through! Be STRONG.
This week, along with your 20-minute fitness goals, open up a can of loving others. You will be transformed— this is how STRONG works.
Suggestions for SERVE Week
1. Support those who need it most in Northwest CT by donating to “Feed Your Neighbor NWCT,” a group set up by concerned citizens with the mission of supporting local non-profit organizations dedicated to feeding families and individuals facing food insecurity during the pandemic.
2. Buy lunch for someone (Uber Eats)
3. Mow a neighbors lawn (do a good job)
4. Send a gift certificate to someone who lost their job (Amazon)
5. Ask your Y about current volunteer opportunities
6. Deliver meals (Meals on Wheels)
7. Volunteer (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts)
8. Mentor a youth (Big Brothers/Big Sisters)
9. Fill a box of some good stuff and donate it (Goodwill)
10. Buy school supplies for youth (bring it to you local school)
11. Pray for someone in need (and tell them)
12. Help someone find a job (use your network)
13. Pay for someone’s coffee (Starbucks)
14. Write an inspiring article and share it (LinkedIn)
15. Stop complaining, get involved (Social Justice)
16. Sponsor someone (a YMCA scholarship)
17. Donate Blood (Blood Bank)
18. Do extra stuff around the house (stop being lazy)
19. Encourage five people on the Strong Challenge (Facebook group)
20. Fill a box with food and take it to your local food pantry (do this with your family)
21. Build a house! (Habitat For Humanity)
22. Call a senior, check-in, and ask if they need help.
23. Clean a park (bring your own garbage bags)
24. Donate to the SPCA or adopt a dog (or cat)
25. Do a virtual 5k for a good cause
26. Make a wish come true (Make-A-Wish Foundation)
27. Donate cash (be generous—give big)
28. Donate that extra toilet paper you’re hoarding (seriously)
29. Make PPE masks for childcare workers, students, seniors….
30. Say nice things on your zoom meetings this week
Ideas to get you off the couch and onto a new healthier life. This is how we’ll fight, how we’ll get STRONG.